Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan89

Beta member
I just recently bought a 250GB Western Digital hard drive. I used it as a secondary drive to store videos and it worked fine.

But one day it when I was transferring video onto it, the computer froze and I had to reboot. When it came back up, 250GB drive was empty. When I looked at it's properties, it still had about 100GB of used space. But when I opened it up it was empty. I didn't really care too much about recovering the data, so I reformatted the drive. But it still shows about 100GB of used space!

It seems to work okay, but why is it doing this? Is it a serious problem?

Thanks for any help!

-Stefan

Have you looked to see if there is a windows update. I bought a 300gb drive and when I installed it I have the same problem. I ended up downloading the latest updates and reformatted the drive through computer management --- disk management. Worked fine, still lost about 20gb but better than 200gb.

What is your OS and is the HD PATA or SATA ?

IF you have xp try reformatting by going to admin tools in control panel, then computer management then disk management...make sure you get the right HD. ...or DL the free sftwr from the manufacturer of your HD. Also should have diag sftwr too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom