hard drive problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default hard drive problem?

I have an old computer and I was selling it. I hooked it up for the first time in a few months, it POSTed, then the screen went blank. I restarted it, same blank screen. I restarted at least fifty times with the same result. I figured it was the motherboard's vga port, so I went out and bought another mb. I hooked it all up, same thing - no output. Knowing it wasn't the mb now, I put the old one back together and started taking components out 1 at a time. Nothing worked. Always the same result: full power, but no monitor output. My hard drive was by itself on the IDE cable so it had no jumpers on it (single mode). I put a jumper on it designating it as master, and everything worked perfectly. Since it was by itself on the IDE cable, I turned the computer off, took off the jumper (designating it single again) and it worked perfectly again. So the final settings were IDENTICAL to the original setting when I couldn't get an output. What the hell is wrong with my computer? Is the hard drive about to die or something?
Thanks for the responses.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via MSN to LegendBreath

Is it a old hard drive? If it's working correctly then, just don't bother with it :P
Closed Thread