hard drive problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresh

Beta member
I have an old computer and I was selling it. I hooked it up for the first time in a few months, it POSTed, then the screen went blank. I restarted it, same blank screen. I restarted at least fifty times with the same result. I figured it was the motherboard's vga port, so I went out and bought another mb. I hooked it all up, same thing - no output. Knowing it wasn't the mb now, I put the old one back together and started taking components out 1 at a time. Nothing worked. Always the same result: full power, but no monitor output. My hard drive was by itself on the IDE cable so it had no jumpers on it (single mode). I put a jumper on it designating it as master, and everything worked perfectly. Since it was by itself on the IDE cable, I turned the computer off, took off the jumper (designating it single again) and it worked perfectly again. So the final settings were IDENTICAL to the original setting when I couldn't get an output. What the hell is wrong with my computer? Is the hard drive about to die or something?
Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom