Hard drive problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Hard drive problem?

I just built this computer and i was wondering if this was a hard drive problem. When i was installing the OS, windows couldn't locate my hard drive until i rebooted several times. During the installation an error popped up which caused me to restart the installation and windows couldn't locate my hard drive again. I tried once more and it worked. Sometimes when i turn on my computer, the BIOS boots from the CD drive instead of the hard drive and i have to restart the computer several times before i can get it to boot from the hard drive. Occasionally i get random freezes followed by a blue screen. If i'm lucky the freezes stops and i can continue with whatever i was doing. What can be causing this?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Hard drive problem?

Did you try a new SATA cable, a different SATA port?

Could it be the SATA power cord? Do you hear it running when it doesn't detect the drive?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Did you try a new SATA cable, a different SATA port?

Could it be the SATA power cord? Do you hear it running when it doesn't detect the drive?
I haven't tried a new cable or port (i'll try it and see if it fixes). and i can't even hear it running when its working. What else could cause those symptoms? my motherboard?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

If you put your hand on it, you should feel a little vibration. That will verify if it is indeed getting power.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've tried replugging the sata cable on a different slot and the problem remains. I've noticed that the computer only freezes during windows startup or when the computer is booting up. When i get pass the window startup without any freezes, it runs normal. I don't know if this is relevant, but when it does not boot from my hard drive and i go into bios to check the boot settings. on #1 it just reads "hard drive" instead of a proper name. Does that mean it is not reading my hard drive?
Closed Thread