Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolamer

Beta member
I am having a hard drive problem with a second HD for my wifes computer. I formated a 150GB HD from an old computer of mine (same age as my wifes computer) then pulled it out of my old machine and dropped it in hers. Her second HD crashed about a year ago hince the reason she is getting this working one.

Her computer does not see the new HD. I looked in the device manager and it isnt listed there or under disk management. I dont think it is a jumper issue because this HD was a secondary HD in my old machine and is plugged into the secondary cable for the Mobo. I checked the BIOS to make sure that the second SATA connect was enabled and it is. BIOS sees there is a 149GB HD on the line, but windows doesnt.

Any ideas on what I can do to make this drive show up on her computer?

right click on the 'My Computer' icon and select 'Manage'
Go to 'Disk Management' and see if you can see the hdd there. If you can you'll need to enable the drive (right click on it, you'll see the option there)

Did you format this drive as an NTFS or FAT32 file format?

NTFS

right click on the 'My Computer' icon and select 'Manage'
Go to 'Disk Management' and see if you can see the hdd there. If you can you'll need to enable the drive (right click on it, you'll see the option there)

Its not listed under there. Windows doesnt see the drive at all.

Try putting the jumper on the SATA drive to limit it to 1.5GB/s speed instead of the full 3.0 speed of SATAII. I had to do this on my parent's computer recently when I added a SATA drive to it, otherwise it wasn't be detected (BIOS it was).

I figured out what the problem was. The computer was set up to run with RAID on. It was copying the entire C drive onto the D drive and not letting me have access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom