Hard Drive Prob - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2006, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard Drive Prob

Hey guys I just upgraded my comp and formatted my c drive for a fresh version of xp on it. When i opened windows for he first time i tried to get some files from my other hard drive. When i opened the hard drive i can see all the folders but i cant open the my documents folder its just says access denied. its weird casue i can open all the other folders and look at pictures etc.. but i cant open that folder. i right clicked on it and it says there nothing in there. Can anyone help me open that folder?

Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Right click>properties. Go to the permissions tab and add your current username and set it to full access. Something like this.

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 05-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hmmm i cant seem to find the permissions tab. Could it be that i changed where windows defaulted the my documents folder on my last pc and that i made the folder private?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

You mean you've slaved (hooked up) your second hard drive into your current machine, so you can retreive some files?

The new OS in the new machine needs to take ownership of the files and folders on the drive.

In order to gain all read and write permissions for the new drive, you need to take ownership of the new hard drive using the Windows XP Access Control settings in Security properties of the new drive. To do this you need to boot into Safe Mode.

It's relatively easy if you follow instructions properly. Here are some guides to help you:

You must be logged into the Windows XP Administrator's account in order to modify access rights to files and folders. If you have Windows XP Home, this means you will need to boot into Safe Mode to because the Administrator's account isn't accessible outside of Safe Mode.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Im guessing you have XP Home edition because Pro comes with the security tabs. There is a simple file that you can download which will enable the security tabs so you can get access to those files.
You can download it from here:
Right click the SCESP4I.EXE file and download to your desktop (or wherever)
after the installation is done reboot. it is recommended u create a restore point before doing any of this.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

or use file security manager

Closed Thread