Hard Drive Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairie9983

Solid State Member
I hope someone can help me.. We have a Dell optilex gx620 mini tower computer that someone set a password on it.. We cannot get into the hard drive and becasue of this it won't boot the operating system.. Please if anyone knows a way we can take off the password without having the password It would be greatly appreciated..

Open up the case of the computer, and remove the CMOS battery.

It should look like this. Re-insert or replace the battery (your choice) after about a few minutes.

cmos+battery.gif

we didi that, we also removed the password jumper on the motherboard..we tlaked to dell's tech support and they told us to plug in an external keyboard to make sure it wasn't an internal keyboard problem..LOL we really laughed hard at that one..LOL but any other suggestions?

Removing the battery should reset the bios. Internal vs External keyboard? Huh? Sheesh......guy probably, at one time, worked for the Geek Squad.

We did that and reset the bios.. we can't get the password off the harddrive we even took it out and put it into a nother computer and it still has problems with the password..It is a seagate hard drive.. I have done research and can't find anything I researched the hard drive manufacturer..nothng..I researched the bios man. alos and nothing.. I am at a loss..LOL hopefully someone can help..

Fairie9983 said:
We did that and reset the bios.. we can't get the password off the harddrive we even took it out and put it into a nother computer and it still has problems with the password..It is a seagate hard drive.. I have done research and can't find anything I researched the hard drive manufacturer..nothng..I researched the bios man. alos and nothing.. I am at a loss..LOL hopefully someone can help..

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have heard that if the password is on the HDD then there is no way to get around it. :(

I just can't believe there is no way to fix it..maybe a 3rd party software or something.. I would hate to trash it just becasue of a password..thanks so far for all the help.

Fairie9983 said:
I hope someone can help me.. We have a Dell optilex gx620 mini tower computer that someone set a password on it.. We cannot get into the hard drive and becasue of this it won't boot the operating system.. Please if anyone knows a way we can take off the password without having the password It would be greatly appreciated..

Another Question just occured to me...Do you want to save the Data on that Drive? If not do this: Go into the Bios and select the floppy as the first book devise. Put in a windows 98 Floppy boot disk and run Fdisk. Remove the dos or non dos partition (if it was formated NTFS). It will now be ready to format with a fresh OS. But that is silly if you have a XP CD and want to do a freah install as you only need to select the CD as the first boot devise and then install a fresh copy of XP. If you want to save the data and it is Hard drive/Windows password protected you can try this:

http://www.atlantisminds.com/articl...hp?PHPSESSID=835dda2ac35255b5b0b714a43e60981f

Be aware that this does not always work and if it does not....you are screwed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom