hard drive overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

foskey

Baseband Member
ive been having some trouble lately, my hard drive has been giving me a lot of problems including an average wait of 15 minutes before i can actually use my computer because it being extremely slow and clicking, and rebooting randomly calling a disk boot error.

now it has decided to overheat and i cant keep my computer running for 20-30 minutes without just restarting and giving me a drive error, it was at a point where it is very hot to touch, then beeps or clicks and sounds like it completely stops and restarts. all help appreciated i have no idea why my computer is so amazing

sounds like its dead, or on the way. generaly when them things start to make noises its dues to a big drop or age. id start backing up the data and think about a new HDD around now.
how old is the thing and have your droped it recently?

ive had this computer for 2 - 2(1\2) years, ive never had a hd go bad so i suppose its doing a good job, also it isnt recognizing my old profiles at all whenever i reboot xp so if thats a sign too.. :\

have a look using this utility
http://www.hdtune.com/
you can useit to have a look at the health of the HDD.
phisical sounds are a very bad sign, as its usualy the read heads dropping out alignment and making nice big scratches all over the shop. fun stuff.

Back up your critical data now...do not wait. Buy a new HD and use that one as a frisbee after you have saved the data. You are running out of time. That dirve is a click away from Hard Disk Pergatory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom