Hard Drive Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPurpleRT

Baseband Member
I'll try to make this short. Over past couple of years my pc has been shutting down on it's own. It's a custom job. The IDE HD in it is about 10 years old. I THINK it is overheating causing the shutdown... Is this possible, if the mobo sense the drive is too hot? It even took a spell once where the PC wouldn't boot, HD wasn't there as far as it knew. Then it up and decided to work as normal and has since aside from the shutting down.

Also, it's random. sometimes it'll go days, soemtimes minutes without doing it. It seems if more intensity is put on it it;ll shutdown quicker, especially streaming videos off the net.

I tried speedfan but the labels are indescriptive, something is def heating up though. Anyone know the labels on the nVidia nforce mobo?

I am also considering powersupply or CPU.

Thoughts??

TIA,

Ryan

First of all any drive that old is ready for retirement. The heads are probably worn. Just that alone will cause a never ending list of problems.

A good article on how to go about reading various temps on old systems is seen at Software for monitoring temperatures

You'll note the mention of the System Info for Windows tool free at SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala That will read hard drive, cpu, even video card temps farely accurately. SpeedFan is a bit of work and often provides false temps.

Quote: "Anyone know the labels on the nVidia nforce mobo?" Are you referring to specifications there or max temps? The make and model system or board would help for that.

I meant the label for the various temp sensors but looks like with you're links I won't need them. Funny thing is I've never had to format the HD in those 10 years. *knock on wood*.

is it possible for the system to shutdown due to an overheating hard drive? I'd assume so to avoid meltdown.

I meant the label for the various temp sensors but looks like with you're links I won't need them. Funny thing is I've never had to format the HD in those 10 years. *knock on wood*.

is it possible for the system to shutdown due to an overheating hard drive? I'd assume so to avoid meltdown.

Sure, but your HDD is Oooold You might want to back it up and get a new one. Like eyeCpc said, retire that puppy!

On an old system like that just about anything can be seen temp and otherwise. I have to agree with ehgit on seeing things unreplaceable backed up before anything does decide to quit on you. A heated drive would see Windows or the OS lock but not see the power turned off like cpu overheat protection.

The simple fact that you haven't reformatted the drive in all that time could very well be a worn copy of the OS you are running there. The fragmentation level alone would be one cause for seeing a number of OS related problems.

Then there's always the upgrade option to get into something newer and seeing a new larger and faster hard drive. A new machine custom or otherwise will make your eyes open up there at how much faster things will run.

Oh I know how slow it is. LOL. Got a Dell laptop that runs mucho faster and it's nothing too special, 2.8ghz dual core and 1gb ram, but it has vista. ack.

ANyways, I'd LOVE to upgrade it at least, been thinking about it a long time.... but... I'm one of those poor college students you always hear about, but I'm the poorest one! LOL.

Thanks for the advice guys, when I get some free time I'm going to research this a bit more (typing from work now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom