Hard drive occasionally clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
I think my hard drive occasionally clicks once. I'm not 100% sure because it only happens a few times a day and I can't pin point the exact location of the sound...

I've tried replacing the hard drive ide cable but it's still happening. I only just reformatted the hard drive a few days ago. The hard drive is under a year old.

Is there anyway I can test to find out if the hard drive is failing? Or if it is not the hard drive, can I check whatever else might be causing it?

I'm not sure what you can do to troubleshoot, but a clicking hard drive is bad news. Backup all your data right now because a clicking drive can go at any time. I had a drive die on me before, it was clicking for a few months, then it started clicking a lot, like once every minute and it finally gave up. As far as I know, the clicking is caused by the heads touching the platters, which can't be a good thing.

If you are worried that the hard drive clicking might be a sign that it is ready to kick the bucket. I would suggest that you download speed fan and use it to diagnose your hard drive. It will tell a fitness and preformace bar that you can use to see how your drive has aged.

hd tune is also a useful hardrive tool. My maxtor external started making screeches randomly and yet is working fine for a good 6 months now I don't keep any important data on it any more now just in case it does go

Hi, Whatever you do please back up your HD, I almost lost all my albums with photos from a trip of my husband's parents and it almost ended in divorce... :(
But luckily I found a great tech support site with free live support that helped me fix my hard drive and then immediately I bought a new HD, now I use the old HD as slave and its been a year and it still works.

Here is the page for HD support from the site I used,

Good luck

Gracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom