Hard drive not recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Trovatore

Beta member
This has a long story, so I'll try to simplify it into bullet points (makes it easier for me to organize thoughts and easier to read than a whole paragraph).

• First, the computer would randomly made this click sound when I booted it and then died shortly after opening Windows.
  • Then I just formatted and reinstalled Windows... It worked perfectly for a while.
  • Eventually, it wouldn't boot or if it did, it would last about five minutes then completely shut off.
  • After, I got frustrated because it wouldn't work and I installed Ubuntu over Windows.
  • Worked just fine for a while, but then hard drive wouldn't be recognized in BIOS or anywhere.
  • Now, it's not recognized at all, no matter what I do.

What could I do to get BIOS to recognize the drive? Also, I most likely erased the Windows reinstall partition, so how would I reinstall Windows? I'm beginning to think that I should go on some discount site like "edirectsoftware.com" and buy an OEM CD... But I really wouldn't want to pay a lot of money... (Parents wouldn't approve)

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been explained, but long searches and slow internet connections don't mix.

alot of hds make a single click when being powered on im not sure that wasnt normal , anyway i assume you havnt messed with the connections before it went unrecognized in bios right? in that case it means the hd is at fault (mechnical/electronic issue) read what i wrote at this thread regarding what to do when the hd goes bad
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96491

No, I never messed around with anything on the inside before it disappeared completely. I messed around with connections when it would disappear and reappear at random times, though. I'm pretty sure it's still connected. So am I basically doomed to have to buy a new one?

I read your post in that other topic, but it's not the data that matters. I just want to write over Ubuntu and reuse Windows, which I would have to buy a CD for.

youll have to buy a new one , unless you still got warranty in that case just rma it, and just little advice on getting a new hd: seagate hds offer 5yr warranty

is there a big diffrenece ?

is there a big diffrenece ? between internal hard drive and external hard drive when it comes to performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom