hard drive may be failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I built my own pc a little while back. Everything was going good but it started going downhill when my pc would get so slow it would take forever to open up anything and the activity light would stay on constantly. Now when I turn my pc on, I get a message about a hard drive problem and it asks me if I want to back everything up. Right now everything is working fine.

Does this mean my hard drive is failing? Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I just wait until it fails? Luckily I have 2 hard drives and all of my information is on the second hard drive. The hard drive that is having problems has windows installed.

Go into "my computer"
right click on that drive > properties
click the tools tab
click on error checking click "check now"
Click both of the check boxes, then click start.
It will ask you to reboot, tell it yes. go get a beer and come back in 30 minutes.

Okay I will do that later. Right now I am running HD Tune and using the error scan and so far no errors. It is about 3/4 of the way done. I will use checkdisk after this is done.

HD Tune is done and it found 1.7% damaged blocks. Also under the health section, at the bottom it says health status failed.

Sounds liek the HDD is in for a bit of troubled times ahead. See if you can get the check disk done.

Well I got the checkdisk done and everything seems back to normal. I have not received the message from Windows about a hard drive problem. But under HD Tune in the health section, it still says health status failed. I did a quick error scan with HD Tune and no blocks were damaged. I am going to do a full scan to see if any blocks are damaged.

Since I ran checkdisk, my computer has not been real slow like before. The activity light has not came on either.

When you run checkdisk, basically if it finds a bad sector, it deletes that sector, and writes whatever was on it to a good sector, then locks out that sector so that it wont get used anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom