Hard Drive may be DAMAGE, trying to get data off an old hard drive. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaminohaka

Baseband Member
I am trying to get old pictures and documents off an old hard drive for a friend. I told him no problem, and then went to work on it. I was getting really wired feed back from it. So, I ask him if something happen to hard drive or damage or something. He said, maybe, just maybe it over heated because there weren't enough air flow to it. Though, I've never seen his computer, that could be the problem.

So, my question is: Is there a way of seeing if the hard drive is damaged? I heard of the software that comes with windows xp and I guess Vista too (im using xp though) that can see if there is any damages to hard drives or hardware. I think it's called..... CMM or CCM (i forgot, but it's call) "Computer Management" within Control Panel and then Administrative Tools. I think it's "Disk Management". Does anyone know?

If final, is there any programs anyone knows of for recovering lost data for windows, but any linux software is welcome, but i would understand windows a lot more. I am using windows xp, and ubuntu feisty fawns. So I can get my friend's information back off this hard drive. I have tired "FreeUndelete" (I think) and "Recover Lost Data 2007" Both couldn't do anything for this hard drive. FreeUndelete said the format of the hard drive was Raw and that there was nothing to recover and Recover Lost Data show the drive as two hard drives, I think one was Fat16 and the other was Fat32 with no size of the hard drive. But I Know the hard drive was NTFS, so I don't know what to do anymore. Is there any other really good programs out there to recover data off a hard drive???

Thank you,
Ocha

Get Data Back for FAT32 or NTFS. Works wonders.

Depending on the drive manufacturer there are official testing programs you can use. Seatools (for seagate) etc. I recommend getting those.

the hard drive is actually seagate. ^_,^ thanks a ton man, would you happen to know if seagate's seatools is better "data back"?? you know, because it's seagate's program or their best choice.

the hard drive is actually seagate. ^_,^ thanks a ton man, would you happen to know if seagate's seatools is better "data back"?? you know, because it's seagate's program or their best choice.

Don't think so. How do you think your hard-drive is damage? Can you give us some details on how you think it's damaged?

well remember, this is my friend's hard drive. he doesn't really know what is wrong with it. he thinks it may have gotten over heated. He wad told by friend/techie (maybe??) that the computer wasn't getting enough airflow, but i am not sure about this because i don't know his friend and how skilled he is. And overall, I have never seen my friend's computer and what state the hard drive was in during the time it was in the computer.

Airflow, I really doubt it. Can't be overheating since most hard-drives are usually hot even with a fan cooler. It could be the disc inside the hard-drive that is probably damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom