Hard drive making high pitched noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saurdo

Beta member
Hello all!

My hard drive is making a high pitched noise. I got it about a month ago when i built my computer but just noticed it now after getting my fan controller fixed and having the chance to turn my fans down. (Thus quieting it significantly).

I bought it from Newegg. So with their return policy I can return it for a replacement anytime within this year.

The noise is really annoying. It's been giving me headaches if I'm on the computer too long. I just now identified the problem and unplugged the hard drive. Luckily I had windows installed on a second hard drive.

So, I'm just wondering if I can fix it by hitting it with a hammer or something (just kidding). What I'm really wondering is what exactly is happening that's making that noise? I need an explanation for my Mom who might be getting annoyed with me after I've already returned three things this month. **** you Newegg! (Also kidding, just my luck I guess).

Slightly unrelated but still related questions:
Fastest way to clear a hard drive?
How should I ship it?

Thanks for your time and help!

if you can still boot off of it make sure your using the correct 4 screws and make sure there snug...besides that im not sure if it only spins at 7200 then could quiet possibly be dying...but if its spinning at 10k then its suppose to be loud

Yeah, it still works and everything and I have it pretty firmly screwed. It's running at 7200rpm. So it shouldn't be this loud. "dying" isn't descriptive enough though. Is the arm part out of whack or something?

It would be the spindle motor making the high pitched sound. I have a Dell that my father uses and after a couple months I noticed the drive has increased in loudness. It is Western Digital brand. The drive is fine and has been running for 2 years now so it could very much be just normal wear. I suggest if you return it you exchange it for a model that specifies very quiet running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom