Hard Drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyg3453

Beta member
Recently, my laptop fried after a power surge. I removed the HDD and bought an external casing for it and plugged it into the rarely used work laptop that has restrictions on essentially everything. When trying to gain access to the user files in the old HDD (vista) through the work laptop (XP), it tells me that it is restricted from access.
Is there any way to unrestrict user accounts without actually having to use the native laptop for the hard drive?

No matter how I phrase it, I can not get any information or tips out of google, so if anyone out there understands this stuff better than me it would be greatly appreciated.

Simple solution. Boot the work laptop with an ubuntu live cd then you can access anything you want. Xp is trying to protect the files in vista and it will take alot of time to read thru the tutorial and correctly change permissions. Just grab ubuntu iso online and burn it, boot from it and you will have full access to all files on all drives.

Simple solution. Boot the work laptop with an ubuntu live cd then you can access anything you want. Xp is trying to protect the files in vista and it will take alot of time to read thru the tutorial and correctly change permissions. Just grab ubuntu iso online and burn it, boot from it and you will have full access to all files on all drives.

Depends on the connection speed of the user ;). If they're connection speed isn't that fast, it may take longer to download/burn/boot Ubuntu than to just modify the permissions for the folder. Really, it doesn't take that long to modify the permissions. They just outline each step with screenshots and such, which is why it makes it look longer.

Yea I agree, really any user of a windows pc should have a linux live cd around at all times. I sometimes assume people already have one because I do :)

Not everybody is a PC tech like us though, Thomas :p. I have one in my software binder as well because I use it now and then too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom