Hard drive Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonibloke

Beta member
Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, whatever the case may be.

I have had my own build running fine for the past year, but recently have had problems, I'm not sure whether it is a hardware or software fault. Sometimes my hard drive will not boot up, I will get a "please insert boot device" or "boot media not found" after powering up computer. This will happen even after powering down PC minutes before.

I have found unplugging the hard drive and re plugging it into the mobo usually gets it booting again, but obviously taking the case of and replugging the hard drive every time I want to use the computer is annoying at best, and probably not good for the motherboard.

I have had a few operating systems installed in the past, xp, ubuntu, vista and dual boots but at the moment the only OS on the hard drive is vista home basic.

Anyway, any guesses to why my hard drive isn't booting the OS? I hope it is only a software fault, I don't really want to have to copy all my files onto another HDD.

Thanks all

I would try 2 things. 1 run a chkdsk /r /f on the hard drive to make sure that there is no bad sectors. 2. get a hard drive monitoring utility to test out the drive to see if it is dying or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom