hard drive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

Beta member
I bought a new hard drive, and I want to replace it with my old one. I'm not to sure how to go about it. I know what connects to what, but where should the jumper be? and will I loose everything on my comp? is there a way to maybe transfer stuff over. I dont want to loose everything. Thanx a lot

You can have both hdds run.

If not.

Format and install your OS on the new drive. (As Master) After you have everything up, put your old drive in as slave. Boot up and copy your info.

~Joe

You can copy over the exact data from one drive to another using a dos based imaging or copying app. I would use Ghost32(8.0)--(The newer ghosts do not have bootable backup feature..only restore).
Basically copy your old partition, and retore to your new drive. Format the rest of the drive. You can combine\expand partition using partition magic. You basically have to do some playing around.

The easiest way is to just add the drive to the other.

If you are adding a PATA drive(regular 40-44 pin ata)
Check the back of the drive, there should be a diagram of jumper settings. If there is no diagram on your origional drive then consult the manual.
Possible settings of a drive usually are:
Master-Single
Master
Slave
Cable Select
Limited Capacity

The cable diagram......
|-------------------------|---------|
Controller Slave Master

I dont remember if this is correct though....

Also, I recommend replacing OEM ribbons with round cables because they do offer much better performance.

Assuming you have XP(NT5.1)......
The drive will probably be set as master-single or cable select if this is the only drive on the system. You have 2 choices, you can use the old master-slave or the automatic cable select system.

For master-slave:
Set the old drive to master
Set the new drive slave
Refer to the diagram above for drive placement on the cable

For Cable Select:
Set both drive to cable select
Refer to the diagram above for drive placement on the cable
The drive with the OS should still be on the master end.
Check the bios for the drive and adjust as needed.

For SATA drives:
Connect the serial cable.
I recomment 90 digree serial cables.
(Install bios and) build array.

For SCSI drives:
Set the jumpers which correspond to your array ID.
Set tee jumpers which define the mode which you want to operate in.
Usually 16 possible (from 0-15) selections. If this is your first SCSI drive, then you ID should be 0.
Dont forget about terminators.
A cable should have a terminator at the beginning(usually built in) and at the last device of the daisy chain. There are also other terminators that are used for socket reductions, etc...

For Fibre Channel:
Similar to scsi but no jumpers.

Tip: Format your drive in dos with fdisk or partition magic...its usually faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom