Hard drive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8706

Solid State Member
Ok my friend traded me his better computer for mine and I want install my additional hard drive that I took out from my old computer (it has data on it that I need). I tried to install it by changing the jumper switch to slave but that wouldn't allow os to be loaded from the primary drive. Also just make this a bit easier for you to help me, the additional hard drive is an ata maxtor hdd, the primary one I just know is an sata hdd, and it seems that the primary one is automatically consider a primary hdd (it does have the black little piece on the jumper setting so the jumper setting can't be changed). Anyone know how to install this?

PS, would it be easier if I just bought an external enclosure

check your bios settings and make sure its first boot device is the sata and not the ata with your files

ok, for boot set up, I don't know how to do it, can't find in the bios set up unless it's the ide configuration, which I already tried out. It's an asus p5p800 se motherboard. Well on slave jumper settings first off in the bios it says it's 33 gb but it should be 200 gb (on my last computer though when it was installed and formatted it had a max space of 189 gb. So it maybe it should have 189 gb?) And when the bios started up it said that S.M.A.R.T .... detects that my hard drive has a bad capabality or something ... should I consider the hardrive fried? Oh and on cable select jumper setting and with ide configuration on sata+pata, it showed the hard drive but with wierd symbols and a storage capacity of 1301.6 gb or something close to the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom