Hard Drive to Hard Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0mmylolz

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension, which has a huge Maleware problem. I have found that the easiest way to fix this would be transfer all data that I need (images, music, pictures, text files) to an external hard drive, which I borrowed from work, then wipe mine clean, load Windows XP back onto it, and transfer everything back. (I know, long run on sentence much?) Anyway, my problem is that the computer I am using to transfer the data is Windows 7, and everytime I try to drag and drop the file, it says I need Administrator Permission. I understand that I am not on MY operating system, but does this mean I am losing all of my data, or is there some way for me to get past it, transfer everything, and be fine once again. PLEASE HELP! :confused:

You are copying an encrypted folder of another computer, I believe. Just make a CD of all your files on the XP machine. Just be sure your malware does not lurk within your folders, or you are back to square one.

I will try that tonight, thanks Broni! And MoM, the computer with XP won't even boot the drive, I have to hook it up as a secondary on the Windows 7 computer to even be able to see what is in there. :(

What Broni said should be correct. Just take ownership of the folders, and you should be good to go in copying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom