Hard Drive gone.... What the?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Okie Dokie... I got a laptop for myself, listed in sig. Gateway P-6860FX. It was used, and came without battery & AC cord, so I took out the 320Gig hard drive (SATA), and put in in my main PC. It wouldn't show up in Explorer, so I went to drive management. The drive DID show up there. I clicked on it to make it basic, and then clicked on it again to make it dynamic... I have NO IDEA what the difference is between the 2, and dunno why I clicked it again. Stupid N00B!! Then it started to format, and was taking forever, so I canceled it.

NOW, I have an AC adaptor, and the battery will be here next week. SO, I took it out, put it back in the laptop, and fired it up. It went to instal Vista, and the disk SHOWS UP, but it says that Vista can't do anything with a 'dynamic' drive. Ok, so I put it BACK into my main PC, and when into disk management and to my surprise, the drive DOES NOT show up!! DOH!!! I restarted, and found that the drive DOES show up in BIOS, and it DOES show up in device management.

Tried WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, and that fails to write all 0's to the drive...
Tried a program called Test disk to write all 0's to the drive, or create/delete partition, and NOTHING...
Tried disabling/re-enabling drive from device manager, and NOTHING.
Tried to format it with Vista setup, unable to...
Tried to format it from XP setup, unable to...

Anyone have any idea HOW I can get it to show up in drive management again to convert it back to a basic drive and format it? Thanks in advance, have to go out, won't be home for a while...

Able to try out GParted and try to format it that way? Or Killdisk to write 0's to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom