Hard drive going down repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshSB

Geek Squad
Hey guys, posting this for a buddy.

Anyways, this is the problem, he has a DV-1000 HP laptop, the hard drive went out 6 months into owning it so he got anotherone via warranty, well, another 7 months go by and now the hard drive is giving S.M.A.R.T. errors saying drive failure is imminent. Songs on the hard drive are skipping, things are taking 10x longer to run ect ect.

Now, here is the problem, according to HP the hard drive has the interface ATA- 2/3/4/5 and can be purchased from them (of course) but I have NEVER heard of ata 2/3/4/5, could someone please give me some insight as to what this is? Maybe laptops have different interfaces for their hard drives than desktops?

Thanks guys.

-Josh

ATA 2/3/4/5 refers to the drives transfer speed. Just as SATA/SATA2 refers to the transfer speed. If the hard drive they are offering is ATA-5 compliant, it means it has transfer rates of up to 100MB/s. That is plenty fast even for a desktop drive. ATA 2/3/4 are slower speeds meaning that the drive can work with older laptops that don't support ATA-5. Hope that clears things up!

JoshSB said:
so its basically just an IDE interface then?

Not so much an interface, just different transfer speeds. Think of RAM, you have DDR266, DDR333, DDR400...etc, but they're all the same interface.

JoshSB said:
Hey guys, posting this for a buddy.

Anyways, this is the problem, he has a DV-1000 HP laptop, the hard drive went out 6 months into owning it so he got anotherone via warranty, well, another 7 months go by and now the hard drive is giving S.M.A.R.T. errors saying drive failure is imminent. Songs on the hard drive are skipping, things are taking 10x longer to run ect ect.

Now, here is the problem, according to HP the hard drive has the interface ATA- 2/3/4/5 and can be purchased from them (of course) but I have NEVER heard of ata 2/3/4/5, could someone please give me some insight as to what this is? Maybe laptops have different interfaces for their hard drives than desktops?

Thanks guys.

-Josh

hmm is your friend cleaning out dust regurally from the laptop fans? does it seem to get hot often?

heat buildup can kill harddrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom