Hard Drive & Floppy Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard Drive & Floppy Drive

When I got this computer it would boot up normally but it was infected With XP Antivirus 2008, which disabled many control panel, start menu Functions. This system is WinXP Pro.

I put a start-up disk in the floppy but it wouldnít boot. I did manage to Boot from the XP install disk and run the repair function, but it didnít Help. I checked BIOS settings and made sure the floppy was the first boot device, it still wouldnít boot from the floppy so I replaced it. Didnít help so I replaced the floppy cable, still no help.

I removed power from the hard drive hoping to be able to boot from the Floppy, but it still didnít work. I plugged the hard drive back in and tried To reboot normally but it couldnít find the hard driveÖ replaced the ide Cable, that didnít work either. Checking the BIOS the hard drive wasnít
Listed in the boot devices. I reset the bios but that didnít help either.

I checked the power supply and all voltages were present except the +3.3 Volts for the P-4 connector.

Any idea what could have caused this or a way to fix it?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Hard Drive & Floppy Drive

This is a very nasty infection/rootkit/virus that is wreacking havoc on many computers. I suggest going to the forum here that deals with infections, etc. to see what you can do to resolve your problem. Perhaps the moderators will move this to the correct forum.

Another excellent place is TechSpot - PC Technology News and Analysis They have a Security & the Web forum. Read their stickies in that forum.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do a system restore and bring your computer back to a previous state where you can work with it and try to remove the virus.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally Posted by cvb724 View Post
Do a system restore and bring your computer back to a previous state where you can work with it and try to remove the virus.
The system won't recognize the hard drive, so it won't boot up now.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Use the XP CD and go into the Recovery Console and do a chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r and run that. After that see if it will boot. If not try a Restore point. If that still doesnt work do a Repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread