Hard drive failure in Toshiba laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZFriedman

Beta member
Hello all.

My Toshiba Satellite M35-S359 laptop recently suffered a fall off of a desk. I would like to blame one of the various household animals, or say it was a freak accident, but I can't. My fault, I snaged the power cord with my foot and pulled it off...

Start it up- no backlight. Ok ok who cares if i know what i'm doing, i put on some gloves and pop open the screen with a pocket knife. Easy fix, i plug the wires that were disconnected into the empty hole in the side of the inverter (the thing that says "Shock risk", i reckon thats the inverter right?).

Now that i can see i start up the computer and it takes about 10 minutes to start. the green-blue bar scrolls under the XP logo for a while, then the welcome screen for a while, and then eventually i get my desktop and everything works for the most part. it would freeze up when i pushed it - functioning was slowed down.

I run scan disk and let it do its thing. (bad move?) after a large amount of time i come back and check on the computer. nothing that interesting happens for 15 minutes until this horrible, evil, cruel noise eminates from the hard drive. fingernails on chalk board, except add a few more hands and make it faster. i rush over, contemplate for a moment if interrupting scan disk or the screech was worse, and decide to cut the power.

some basic info:

Toshiba Satellite M35-S359
Windows XP
Drive: Toshiba MK6021GAS

I wouldn't say i'm a computer technician, but i generally can fix stuff when it breaks. i have little fear, and even less money than that.

so whats up? my HD dead? any chance of revival? perchance by an untrained unliscenced smart-ass like myself?

i read through 200 methods of Hard drive revival. could i freeze it? i don't really understand what is wrong so i don't know if that would help me.

the data on that HD is of surprisingly little value. i would enjoy being able to go back through and get a few files or at least having that HD work a little bit. ultimate scenario is obviously that everything goes back to working dandy. otherwise, i have to get a new HD right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom