Hard drive failure coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
Recently I received an error message from windows vista that I have a hard drive error. I don't know what kind of error it is. Before I got the error I could not start windows vista, I would turn on my computer and vista would load, the logo would pop up and I would have a black screen. I am currently backing up my files.

What else should I do?

One thing to do there while you are in Windows is to right click on the Vista drive when in Computer and select properties and open the tools tab. There click on the error checking button as seen here. Check off the automatically fix errors option.

The MS page on how to use the tool is seen at Check your hard disk for errors - Windows Vista Help

I am trying to put some of my files on a portable hard drive. I tried to copy the files onto the hard drive and it says there is not enough room on the hard drive for the files. I have 66 GB free on the hard drive and it's a 6GB file.

Did you set that up for any paging file, automatic backup process, or OS it at all? It sounds like something is reserving a portion of the drive for some ongoing process.

One method for bypassing any Windows or software settings would be booting from a live ubuntu or Knoppix disk(ubuntu=cd-r Knoppix 5.2=dvd-r) and trying it again there. That way there's no Windows or other software being involved to interfere.

If you are working with the factory partition external drives come with those are generally Fat32 with a software seen in order to be seen by Vista. That would be another item to add here.

I'm in Ubuntu 8.10 and copying the files and no I did not set up an automatic backup process because I have no place to backup my files but I did have a page file.

I noticed after the POST screen I get an error message telling me my hard drive is bad and I need to backup my data and replace it. Would that mean that I am going to have to get a new hard drive?

If check disk doesnt help any then yes. I would say a hard drive replacement would be in order.

Assigning the paging file was what was blocking you from copying the large file there. If you are getting a hard drive fail alert from a prebuilt system you'll now have to save what you can before it goes completely on you. Otherwise you will have to pay out for a professional service to retrieve off of the drive's platters directly.

So the page file is messing it up?

I built my computer so I will just bring it to my computer teacher and see what he can do, he is A+ certified and has been working with computers for a long time so he should know what to do.

Apparently Windows reserved a certain amount there as it would if you were seeing the paging file created on the main drive by default. This is preventing you from copying the large file to the external drive while booted in Windows.

Is this a file like a video or cad file you can burn to a dvd? Since the drive is on the way out that or copying to the external after resetting the paging to the main drive would be the idea to save the file before the drive goes on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom