Hard Drive Failure?...or bad SATA cable/connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben75

Beta member
Hello,

I have a SATA WD 200 GB hard drive in my computer that's about four years old. I installed this via a IDE to SATA coverter card because my motherboard has no SATA connectors (my previous motherboard failed on me, so I was forced to go to my backup).

Recently I've been getting freezes and crashes so I ran Western Digital's Data Lifeguard and, sure enough, the drive is failing the tests, so it seems clear the hard drive is failing. BUT...since this all started when I swapped it into my old motherboard and I had no problems before that, I began wondering if this is a bad SATA connection or a bad cable. I have swapped out the cable and the problem persists, so I don't think that's it. I can't help wondering that it might be this IDE to SATA converter card that's the culprit. If so, would it result it phenomena that could be confused with hard drive failure? Is there anything I can check to be sure before I get a new hard drive?

Thanks.

I Am Voting That It Is The HDD Most Fail Around 5-7 Years of Age. Try Another Hdd And See.

Yes, I believe it is the HDD.

Hard drives do not have a life expectancy. I have hard drives from '98 that still work excellent. It all depends on what you do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom