Hard drive failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all, this is how it happened.

i was sitting there listening to some musiic off of the drive on wmp, and the pc froze, restarted, opened wmp and tried to listen, and it errored saying it couldnt be found.

crap...

so i open up my computer and click on the drive (which is Z) and it says:
hderror.jpg

so i open up disk management, and see this, its letter Z:
Error2.jpg

Double crap...

now i have about 25GB's of music, videos, priceless pictures, programs, games, cd keys, phone numbers, school reports, grade sheets, emails, everything pretty much.

soo, how might i go about getting the data back? i have a 80g with about 68GB's free, so i can do a full drive restore, time is a problem tho, i have to have all of the data back by monday evening, because i have a report to print on tuesday morning for school, and this report is like 50% of my grade, and i need an A in that class, so, yea...if i dont get it, im completely screwed.

also, i have a 1GB memory stick that i can use too, but it dosent have alot free.

The drive is a Seagate U series 5 40Gb from HP, model # ST340823A

soo, right now i feel like throwning this drive outside and running it over with a car, then going after it with a sledge hammer, then throwning it in our fireplace, but i cant do that cause of the data on it. i have tried the freezer trick, and it didnt do anything at all.

You lost your file system, FUN! you could try rebuilding the file table, but likely won't fix it.

Do a format, then recover the data with EZrecovery, it can restore the drive to the way it was before the format as long as you don't put ANY data on that drive. Roommates drive did the same thing, only fix that worked was this.

Then backup the data and run a seatools test on the drive, it's a likely sign the drive is failing.

Chkdsk apparently can fix the MFT since NTFS stores a backup copy of it on the middle of the disk, something I did not know until just now lol.

And apparently active@ file recovery can recover the data without a file system. I'd assume EZ recovery can do it too, but the "unformat" option it has is just sooooooo friggen spiffy.

PC inspectors good, I just hate how it finds files in seemingly random order, and alot of the time without names.

make sure you test the drive afterwards though, software and/or hardware failure can cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom