Hard Drive error ---- PXE-E61

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool462

Baseband Member
Hey I recently upgraded an old computers hard drive from a 6 gig heap, to a 40 gig seagate Ultra ATA. I connected the cables properly and changed the breaker onto single or master setting. When I start it, it comes up with the startup testing screen, then it comes up with the PXE error:

PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-??? Exiting PXE (I forgot what the other numbers are, but its irrelevant.)

I tried taking out the network card like some other forums said, but to no avail. Please help. Its an old school Dell. (gay). But we're just amping it up a bit.
OK cheers for anything guys.

The Media test failure, check cable is when the network cable to onboard network is diconnected
pxe is when its exiting post to start up windows

Goto bios and under advanced there should be something to do with booting of lan disable that and the media test will not come up

need more help then pm me

the only thing in BIOS to do with LAN is:
Wakeup on LAN
which is off anyway.

You might need to update your Bios if its an old system that doesn't support Hard drive over 30GB, after updating it'll support the Hard drive.

Or the ribbon cable is possibly in the wrong slot, make sure its in the Primary IDE slot.

Also if theres no other hard drives, just put the jumper in the position that sets the drive to "Cable Select"

The IDE cable is good and in the right slot. I'll update the BIOS and keep you posted. It is the original BIOS from when they first bought it in like 1999. Ie tried the jumper in all slots, (master, cable, etc.) and it didn't make a difference. I'll tell you how it goes.
One thing though, can I update the BIOS of a Dell as old as that? It comes up with a big blue Dell logo and like a little loading bar where it does the memory tests and stuff. Any who i'll go look.

Yeah, cheers for the help.
Upgraded the BIOS and it recognized it.
Just installed windows then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom