hard drive and dvd+rw drive issues - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyjude85023

Beta member
sorry this will be long. i have wound up where no analyst wants to be: too many variables so i need help.

i have a dell latitude cpxh, 500mhz. i purchased it in 2000 used from a corp. it came with a 12gb hdd. because of issues i was having, sunday i installed a 60gb hdd (new hard drive, more space).

everything went smoothly. fresh install of w2k pro, then installed backup to get office and other applications using norton ghost 9.0. (all non-program files are kept on an extra hard drive module.)

now even though i show that i have @48gb free space on the c: if i try to copy a 4.3gb from the g: to the c: i get an error that i don't have enough disk space. from what i have read, that is because the c: is fat32 and that doesn't support files larger than 4gb. if this is true, the solution i saw posted was:

To convert:

Start * Run * cmd
Press enter.
convert c: /fs:ntfs
Press enter.
Answer yes. Answer yes. Reboot. Get a cup of coffee. Make that two.

You'll have NTFS now.

if i do this, will i then need to reformat the drive and reinstall windows? will i need to do anything else?

second part of the problem. when i try to move the 4.3gb backup file to a dvd (dvd+rw nec nd6650a) i get an error after @5 mins that the disk in the drive is protected and i need to unprotect it or use a different disk. now my new coaster shows free space of 7tb. no that is not a misprint, it is TB. what the heck is a "tb"? technical byte?

any idea why this is happening? it has happened a couple of times now in the last month or so when i have tried to copy/move large amounts of data. say over 500mb.

third and final (i hope). it appears from what i have read that it may not have been my hard drive at all that started all of this. i had installed roxio easy media creator 7.5 several months ago when i installed the dvd rw drive. because i was unhappy with emc, i tried to uninstall it. that is when my problems started now that i look back on it. lots of "blue screen of death" episodes. while researching why i couldn't copy the 4gb+ backup file to the disk, i came across the exact same blue screen i was getting in a discussion on issues with roxio emc 7.5. i read lots of nasty user reviews on this software. all of the same issues i was having now. wish i had seen it before i bought it, but what would be a better application to use? if i uninstall it completely, i can't use my dvd rw drive.

at this point i am so tired and so confused, and i need help.

while i would like the answer about the fat32 to ntfs, i think i am more concerned at the moment about why i can't copy this file to the dvd.

First off, I have only ever formatted a hard drive to ntfs never converted but I needed to back up the data and reinstall windows. After it was formatted I reinstalled Windows and then started to add all the programs and drivers (if you do convert/format make sure you have all relevant drivers etc) back on the drive. Have you a spare hard drive to back up your data etc, becasue personally I wouldn't trust converting a drive and banking on your data still being there. The issue with roxio/dvd rw drive I don't really know other than swap to another program such as Nero (which I use and I love it). They do a free trial version which you could download and if it works, back up your data and then convert your hard drive here's the link - http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php
hope this helps btw to foramt the drive instead of converting just change convert to format.

thank you for the reply. i was originally going to buy nero...heavy sigh.

i spent almost all day sunday installing windows 2k and then installing the backed up files and folders. looks like i am in for another all day session. not complaining, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom