Hard drive disappearing from my computer

Have you tried making sure your HDD has enough power so it can safely spin up fast enough? Have you tried different SATA cables by chance... I just wanna say get a new drive soon honestly...

My sata cables are ALL NEW locking style cables I also checked the psu modular cables on both ends (sometimes I forget they can come out on the PSU end too!) I switched cables a while back as well when it started happening in the old rig which is still in my sig

I replaced all of them last week when I did the build the old ones were crappy non locking cables and the problem happened then too. I think I am going to have to act quick though for what ever I decide to do the drive disappeared for no reason what so ever today I wasn't even doing anything other than listening to music which I leave running while I go about my day

As I said, chances are your drive is dieing, either buy a new drive, and transfer your data to it, or do nothing with the risk of loosing your data, simple as that if this is an entirely different system from the ground up.

Better than they was a few years ago, but remember, with any mass storage, the chance of data loss is greater in a few ways. Just remember to keep backups.

I ended up going with this.

Buy the Seagate 1.5TB Serial ATA Hard Drive at TigerDirect.ca

I haven't had any issues with it so far but will keep you posted. just when I think I'm out of the woods bad things tend to happen

I noticed my old drive behaves alright in my hard drive dock no problems there copied files from it for the whole day 700gb worth just fine so maybe i'll buy an external case for it

Probably a power supply issue of some form, since newer drives use more efficient motors, have less mass to spin, and don't pull as much power. Could also be some form of SATA controller incompatibility with your drives logic board due to it being an earlier design.

Probably a power supply issue of some form, since newer drives use more efficient motors, have less mass to spin, and don't pull as much power. Could also be some form of SATA controller incompatibility with your drives logic board due to it being an earlier design.[/QUOTE

I hope you're wrong about that. So far it hasn't been acting up but if it still does I might have to get yet another new psu I have only had this one for a year and it seemed to get pretty good reviews with the exception of one guy saying he put the psu in his rig and it basically just blew up. Its a 600 watt PSU which should be enough to power 2 HDDs I would think since I have a fairly modest graphics card and don't use my optical drive all that much.

I know the load used to be over 400w on the old rig last year before my old PSU went I think adding the original 1.5tb drive pushed it over its limit

Again I have an Ultra X4 600w modular PSU

Edit: I think this might rule out the PSU

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back
Top Bottom