Hard Drive Data Recovery - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard Drive Data Recovery

Recently during a power outage, my hard drive partition became damaged. After a few attempts at hard drive repair, I decided I only needed a few folders off of the drive, most importantly my business files.

So I decided to recover the data, move it over to my brand new SATA drive (Which is currently the new drive I am using for my freshly installed OS)

I am using the Hiren's Boot CD version 9.7

I tried to use both the Ontrack Easy Recovery 3.0 and Prosoft's RecoverSoft Media Tools Pro 5.0

Both programs seem to do exactly what they are supposed to do. They scan for all available drives, allow me to select a drive, allow me to select which folders to back up and then comes the problem.

For both programs, after selecting the right drive and the right folders for backup, I try to select a location to backup the files to, and the hard drives that it recognized during the initial scan, is no longer available to backup the files to.

The only locations it recognizes are my CD-ROM Drive, my floppy drive and the R:/ drive (That is my ram drive the boot disk loads all the files into).

There is one SATA Drive labeled as D:/ (OS), an IDE Drive which is the
damaged drive (Storage 1) and a second IDE drive which is currently just formatted and empty (Storage 2)

Also, I can not boot my operating system when the damaged drive is plugged in, I can only boot the disk.

Is there anyone that can give me some advice on what to do?

If you need any more information in order to help, I will get it if I can.
Closed Thread