hard drive crash? disk not working? need help troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightfoot

Beta member
Hello,
I have had my computer for about a year now, and it has not given my problems like this before. I have it set up with a 20 gig hard drive as my master with windows xp on it, and i have a 40 gig as the slave drive with all my music files and games on it. The other day I was doing some work on a 3rd hard drive for a friend, so i turned of my computer, unpluged the 40 gig slave, and pluged in my friends hard drive. I booted up and did everything i needed to, and then turned off my computer and put my 40 gig slave back in. I have done thie before, and never had problems. When i went to boot the computer back up, at the point where it usually tells what ide devices are attached, it only found my cd drive and my dvd drive., and could not boot up. I played around with my 4 ide devices a little, moving them between channels, changing the power cords going into them, and i determined that the 40 gig slave was the problem. with out it in the computer everything worked fine. when it was in the computer, whatever ide channel it was attached to was ignored by the computer. when it, and the master drive were connect on the same ide, the computer would not recognize either of them. this dirve is about 2 years old. It is a seagate barracuda. The drive does not spin up at any time when i connect it.
What could have caused this, is there any way to fix it, and if not, is there any way i can save my files?
Thank you
~Lightfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom