hard drive crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuno_owns

Beta member
HI! i recently had a hard drive failure (samsung sp2014N 200gig). i had it running over night on a p2p network (im thinkin virus/hacker got at it) i woke up in the mornin and it had frozen. i restarted and was told to insert boot disk. i did and re-formatted my hard drive with the windows xp cd. it installed everything fine and rebooted as expaected. when it came time to find an operating system it said there wasnt one and did theis process again. it is now stuck in a endless loop of formatting and restarting. my friend recommended a low level whipe (or something like this. im unsure of exactly what he did) and it now does exactly the same thing. i put it in another computer to see if it would be recognized. at startup it detected the drive and loaded xp off the C: drive (has a partition to make a C: and D: drive). after it loaded it said new hardware detected in the lower right hand corner and correctly identified the hard drive. i opened my computer and there was only a C: and D: drive (remembering the partition) the spin point want an option at all. any ideas what is goin on here??? do i need a new drive or can this be salvaged somehow. any help is greatly appriciated. thanks.

Jason

by "it said there wasnt one" you mean it said *Failed to load operating system* if so its a bios identification issue , you should manually set the hd to LBA mode , if youll provide the mobo model ill tell you how to get it gone

you mentioned you tried it in another pc , please re-explain that cuz its completly unclear

sorry for the confusion. i have a ECS 760GX-M board. and as for the confusing part. all i meant was that i pluged it into another computer. and when it checked the IDE ports at startup it detected the drive and loaded windows off of the other drive that was installed (this other drive had a secondary partition. so that when viewed from the my computer screen in windows it appears as 2 seperate drives... C: and D:. im only saying this cause i am unsure if windows will acknowledge any hard drives after D:. but it said in the lower left corner "new hard ware found" and then found internal drivers i guess :S... similar to when you plug in a USB key. which i found quite bizzare) and when i opened "my computer" there was only the C: drive and the secondary partition. labeled as the D: drive. i hope that helps clear it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom