hard drive clicking! Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrrab

Beta member
So awhile ago my old toshiba 1130 satellite notebook wouldnt boot up and the screen got broken shortly after. I took out the hard drive (Toshiba model # mk4021gas) and saved it. So the tech at Best Buy told me to buy this "2.5" usb 2.0 hard drive enclosure kit" to get my old files. When I connect the hard drive to my laptop or any other it computer it'll click for a short while then continue to spin. The computer will recognize it as a usb mass storage drive but it says it needs a driver and the one that came with the kit just won't cut it. Can someone please help me find a driver or is it too far gone to retrieve my files?

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I'm not lazy I have searched on google and other search engines for the past 5 hrs and I'm still not finding anything.

OH sorry I was trying to be as detailed as I can but I left that out its Dynex DX-HDEN20.

There are no drivers offered for download on this. The only way to get them would be to contact dynex's customer support. You shouldn't need any unless you're running windows 98 anyways.

Clicking in a harddrive is almost always a sign of complete harddrive failure. Which would a likely candidate as to why your laptop wouldn't boot.

Most likely the hard drive is toast, and it's the drive itself rather than the enclosure or drivers causing the problems. If you really insist on trying to make it work, or need files really badly off of it, try a 2.5 > 3.5" IDE converter such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812119020 that'll allow you to plug in the 2.5" laptop harddrive to your internal IDE cable. Frye's electronics sells em too.

Seriously though, I'll put money the drive is toasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom