hard drive capacity - not actually 200 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
mapunk said:
just did and it didn't recognize it

After rethinking that, I beleive I was wrong, it won't recognize it. You need get that service pack onto the installation CD, once it's on their you have to repartition and reformat.

Also your BIOS has to support drives that large.

Anyone know how to slipstream that service pack onto the installation cd?

BASSMASTER said:
After rethinking that, I beleive I was wrong, it won't recognize it. You need get that service pack onto the installation CD, once it's on their you have to repartition and reformat.

Also your BIOS has to support drives that large.

Anyone know how to slipstream that service pack onto the installation cd?

alright thanks. I've slipstreamed before, but forgot how to do it. I'll google it.

And I have a lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard.

BASSMASTER said:
I found this too

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

so basically, it looks like you can make that registry change, go to your disk management, create an extended partition, and then one or more logical drives in that.

yeah i changed my registry, but I didn't see the part about creating an extended partition. Can you explain how to do that? Is it somewhere under Computer management > disk drives? I've never done it before...

also, I was going to try to update my bios, so I went here http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl...TYPE=LP&INDEX_TYPE=null&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US I downloaded one of them, and when i ran it, the comand promp just popped up for a little bit then closed. should that happen?

alright well I decided I'm just going to go ahead and slipstream SP4 with windows2k onto a new CD, and reformat.

That's all the BIOS flash will do, as long as you didn't get any errors you're good to go.

Go to Control panel - administrative tools - computer management

Then go down to the disk management section on the tree

If you right click on your drive can you create an extended partition on the new space?

BASSMASTER said:
That's all the BIOS flash will do, as long as you didn't get any errors you're good to go.

Go to Control panel - administrative tools - computer management

Then go down to the disk management section on the tree

If you right click on your drive can you create an extended partition on the new space?

Oh alright thanks, and which links on that page should I download? This is my first computer build so I dunno all the small details i need.

I'm not at my house right now, but I remember looking at that section and right clicking, and remembering an option similar to that was greyed out. I think I'm going to just go ahead and reformat the disk and see how it works.

good luck, let us know how it goes. You need to find the revision number on your mother board to know which one to dowload. Here are the detailed instructions on how to flash it.

1. Prepare one piece of clean bootable floppy disk with only booting program installed.

2. Download the appropriate BIOS update from the Download section according to the motherboard model and PCB (Printed Circuit Board) revision. The revision of motherboard can be checked from the lower right corner of label affixed on printer port. For aged motherboards, please find the label on the last ISA slot. You can take the first digit after "R." as PCB Revision. For example, the PCB revision is "A" if the revision of motherboard is marked as "R.AG0".

3. Extract the BIOS binary file and the flash utility program from the zipped file using applications as WinZip.

4. There should be two files being extracted from the zipped file. They are: *.EXE and *.BIN files. You can find another ".TXT" file sometimes which is the description of history of the BIOS updating and you don't have to use it upon flashing the BIOS.

5. Copy the *.BIN and *.EXE file on to a floppy disk and reboot your system from the floppy drive.

6. Type in the following command under DOS prompt (NOT under windows!):
A:\>[executable] [file name].bin /F
OR A:\> [Executable] [file name].bin /F/QI
OR, A:\>[executable] /?
for detailed instructions.
Warning: For NFII chipset based motherboard, please do not give "/F" instruction. Otherwise, LAN MAG IP will be lost that might cause your LAN feature failed.

7. Reset your computer AFTER the completion of BIOS flash process.

8. To check whether your BIOS has been updated successfully please refer to the BIOS date code shown on the bottom left hand corner of the boot up screen.

9. Please LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS or LOAD BIOS SETUP DEFAULTS in the BIOS setup menu during the first system boot up after the flashing the BIOS

you don't need to do that. even though you've installed SP4 now, it won't change the already formatted hard drive space. go to srart, run and run "diskmgmt.msc"
there you can format the rest of the drive, and you can merge it using a program like Partition Magic

apokalipse said:
you don't need to do that. even though you've installed SP4 now, it won't change the already formatted hard drive space. go to srart, run and run "diskmgmt.msc"
there you can format the rest of the drive, and you can merge it using a program like Partition Magic

Oh alright, I'm going home in about 30 minutes, I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks alot for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom