Hard drive broken??

Status
Not open for further replies.

perron

Beta member
while I was transfering some files from one folder to another my computer froze. I did a hard shotdown, waited a few seconds, and turned the computer back on. the computer sounds like it is working, and the hard drive sounds like it is spinning. but nothing shows on the monitor. the monitor is not receiving a signal.

is my hard drive broken?

If you don't even see the boot sequence when you turn on the computer, its most likely your monitor. Double check the cables that connect your monitor to your computer, and the power cable from your monitor to the outlet. If everything looks OK, pull the cables out and blow in them, then plug them back in.

Resetting this connection is important, because the cable may be loose, so make sure you physically remove the cable completely, then completely push it back in.

If this still doesn't work, bring your monitor to a friend's (or 2nd) computer and try it again. If it still doesn't turn on, the monitor (or monitor cable) is bad. If it does turn on, you could have a bad power cable (the one that plugs into a wall outlet or surge protector). You can also try swapping out power cables with your friend's computer to help isolate the problem.

whell, did all that you mentioned and nothing. since I still had the warrenty I took it to circuit city, at the firedog station, they tested the video, harddrive and other and all checked ok. he said that it has got to be the motherboard. So I called in a service request at home for them to replace the motherboard.

thanks for the advise rahlzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom