Hard Drive 50 C - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard Drive 50 C

Last week I bought a 2TB CAXE3702T0 external HDD than runs eSATA storage for my computer.

I happened to touch it today while it was running idly, and it is hotter than any computer hardware Ive ever felt at a whopping 50 degrees celsius, or about 122 F.

I plan to use this for a long time as its 2 TB, and im in need of some handy and precise ways to cool this sucker to ensure it lives to see the end times.

I was thinking something like a gel pack that would absorb in the heat and release it, kindve like those fancy doggy water beds that absorb the heat.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I cant seem to find anything of this sort on the internet for purchase at a reasonable price.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Hard Drive 50 C

You can buy enclosures for the hdd which have inbuilt fans/heatsinks which will help with the cooling.
TBH though the drive shouldn't really be running at 50C.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I actually disagree, SOUL. My WD MyBook Essentials 320GB has been working fine for 3 years. Its temp is hightened because of the closed space that external hdd manufacturers make. Mine runs continuously throughout the day. It runs about 55-57C. About your best bet is to put it in front of a house fan, unless you can attach a case fan to it.
Neowin.net Steam Account
Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

Laptop drives generally hit those temps, and so do desktop drives if they are surrounded by other high speed drives.

Look for an enclosure that has a fan or heatsink design for the HDD.
Closed Thread