Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjimn

In Runtime
Hi.

I have a question:

I bought and installed this hard drive and have been running it for about a few weeks now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

Most of the reviewers on newegg claim that this drive runs very quiet and cool...well that is not the case with my drive. My drive runs very hot and noisy all the time.

This is my secondary drive and I don't have any raid configuration. My OS and all programs are on the primary drive and even with that, according to speedfan, my secondary drive is always hotter by a few degrees C.

I can't hear noise when I'm not using it, but when I play a file from the secondary HD I can hear a lot of noise. (My primary hd does not make any noticeable noise during normal use).

Is there anything that can be causing this or is it just my drive?

nitestick said:
you can't always trust the reviews on Newegg. what temperature is the drive running at on average? Seagate drives tend to run fairly hot and the larger the drive is the hotter it will run.

this new drive usually runs at about 40-50C. I only use it to store big files like movies and such.

my other drive (a western digital) is my main drive and is pretty much always in use. The WD never goes past 48C.

anyways, I assume the drive can handle those temperatures. What really annoys me is the noise. The drive is very noisy and I wish it wasn't that noisy. Like i said before the seagate is like 10 times noisier than the WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom