Hard disk trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard disk trouble

Hey, I have the following problem

I Have 4 hard disks
150gb Raptor X - SATA as master
300gb maxtor - SATA
160gb Maxtor - ATA
70gb Maxtor ATA

I am running windows XP SP2

Recently when I bought the Raptor X I formatted all of the other disks. Both of the SATA disks work fine all the time but when I have both ATA disks plugged in, neither of them show up in my computer or device manager although they both work fine individually so I have only have three disks working at once.

I have tried swapping the drives possition on the IDE cable to no affect. I really have no idea on this sort of thing...

I imagine the solution being something like setting a jumper to slave on the other disks, but I dont actually have any so I can't try it.

If anyone could help me find a solution it would be really appreciated.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hard disk trouble

Yes it's most likely a jumper issue. You can go to your local computer shop and ask for a few. They shouldn't charge much if anything for them. Do both the IDE drives show in your BIOS? If not do they show if you unplug both SATA drives?

Closed Thread