Hard disk is not recognized most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobo12

Beta member
hello

i have 1 SATA2 hard disk drive which works very well when detected
the problem started few months ago , and it happens only after i shutdown my computer.
the problem is that when i turn on the pc , mostly it will not detect the hard disk and will not boot into windows .
it will need several reboots for the computer to detect it , but when its finally detected, the computer works just fine.
it took about 40 minutes of rebootings today for the computer to detect it !

i tried connecting the drive to different sata slots in the motherboard , i tried 2 other sata cables (1 of them is the 1 used for the dvd drive , which is always recognized) , and i tried to disconnect the dvd drive and connect the hard disk in the same slot using the same cable without connecting the dvd at all ..
i could feel the hard disk running when the pc is on (i touched it and felt a lite vibration)

i tried hiren's disk and it didn't detect the drive as well

all the testings tells that the fault is from the hard disk , but what could be the problem since it sometimes get detected and work very well?

any idea ?

any help would be appreciated

Could be the PCB is faulty. Back-up everything and get a new HDD. Maybe just image your current drive. So when you get the new one, you can put the image back on and be like it never left.

Just wondering, what is your HDD? Manufacturer and capacity.

strollin:
i'll check for an update despite i dont think the mobo is the 1 causing the problem since there is no problem with the dvd drive , and everything was working well for over a year. thanks for trying to help :)

mindovermaster:
the had drive is WDC WD3200aaks-75l9a0 (taken from device manager..
i googled the model (i don't know why i didn't think about that before) , and found this :
Western Digital WD WD3200AAKS-75L9A0 Data Recovery - Datacent
it sounds like its a firmware issue of the hard drive .. what do you think ?

thanks for the help

That could be it. Get a new one, reinstall Windows or image and then RMA that defective HDD to WD. They are excellent at RMAing.

I once had a 320aaks like you that got defective. Sent it into WD, got a 500GB back. :) Easier to give a 500 than a 320. They probably only had 500s in their warehouse.

i've never thought about RMAing , that sounds great .
thanks a lot for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom