"Hard disk not found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavm86

Beta member
Hi guys, I have a little problem.

This afternoon when I got home from work I went to use my computer, and it was off. Odd, I thought, as its always on. So I booted it up and just after the BIOS screen it is giving me the following message: "Operating system not found" I think, great, Windows XP is Fubar. So I pull out the recovery CD and boot the computer again. I then get the message "Recovery not possible, hard disc not found" I then went into the BIOS setup, and the computer is not recognizing any hard disk. What do you think the problem could be? Is the Hard drive done? The computer is a Centrino laptop, 1.3Ghz, 512MB ram, 40 Gig hard drive.

I am guessing the IDE cable went bad and therefore it can't recognize it. That or the HD just plain out went *pfttt*

*W000T, 1000 posts ples!*

You mean clearing CMOS? I don't see how that would help.

Btw that is myth, you only need to keep it out for about 3-10 seconds then insert it again, 5 minutes is just retarded.

Well, it turns out the hard drive took a complete dump on me, and it was replaced with a new one (under warranty). However, it looks like I may have lost all the data on it, but they are still going to try and extract the data from it somehow. Do you think it will be possible to recover data from a drive with these symptoms?

It may be possible depending on what the problem was with it in the first place. There are so many things that can go wrong with a HDD, and most failures are recoverable. It just depends on who you send it to and how much you are willing to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom