Not open for further replies.

darthsid

Solid State Member
now then...
i have 2 hard discs
Seagate 80GB Baracuda 7200.9
Seagate 250GB Baracuda 7200.10

i have had them for about a year with no problems
just recently i had a problem with my processor overheating so i applied the thermal paste and all is fine
but since then...both my hard discs are acting weird...
all of a sudden one of them (it can be either of the two hard discs) stops working....with some strange sound (its like...it's trying to spin and ends up with a clicking noise) and windows gets stuck.,..but immediately if i just open the cabinet and press the IDE or power cables or both a bit, it starts working again and windows works normally again

so i replaced both the cables for both the hard discs...but there was no change

so i was wondering as to what the problem is?
Does it have something to do with my power supply??

and btw i ran all sorts of diagnostics test on both hard discs using seagate tools....and all showed excellent results

my PC config is:
Pentium D 820 2.8D
1 Gb DDR2 RAM
geforce 6600
sound card (some cheap one cause my mobo's inbuilt sound doesnt work anymore :()
LAN card
DVD ROM
DVD writer
3.5" floppy drive
and the two hard discs mentioned above

my PSU is a 450W one

so does it have something to do with the power supply??
or should i get a PSU with a higher power rating?

cause i've worked with the same config (except the sound card) and no problems....
btw the problem started before i installed the sound card

any help would be appreciated cause lately....
cause of this...my hard discs have generated a few bad sectors and all sorts of errors show up when i copy files from one hard disc to another (CRC or data corruption error)....i even lost a few files :(

Edit:
i thought it was the problem of my PSU..so i removed my gfx card and sound card...removed one hard disc....
but still no use :(

i doubt one of them about to die....
cause how can both of them start giving problems simultaneously??
cause sometimes its the 80GB one not working and sometimes its the 250 one
o.o

neway now i'm backing up all the stuff on my HDD

They are about to die but the reason can be due to heat within the case or unstable power from the PSU. What kind of PSU do you have? Don't go by the wattage but by the stability and amperage when you buy a PSU.

hmm..maybe i'll try changing the PSU...
well i donno about the stability of mine :S

neway thanks for the replies :)

Edit: I just changed my cables again and cleaned the sockets with alcohol(aftershave splash xD).....so far no problems...o.o

i forgot to add one more thing
when i had that overheating problem..i had removed my HDD cause i had to carry my CPU to far off places for some repairs...
the two HDD were kept in a box...with the upper side (the one with the sticker and stuff written about the HDD) facing down...that is the other way round of how HDDs are kept inside the CPU...for atleast 2 days...does that do anything??

Edit2: meh...the error is back >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom