HAL switch on pack of power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I have a power supply that has been giving me trouble and I'm wondering what the HAL switch on the back is for. It was set on H and when I flipped it to A and then L, the PSU shut off and now it won't come back on.

I'm guessing it has something to do with voltage but I can't imagine such an easily accessible switch being able to cause any permanent damage.

you should try to fliping the switch back to where it was, if u already haven't. But i can understand why it anit working if you flipped it when the pc is on or the plug was still in the mains, trust me it is broken if you have, from past experience i did it when i was 15 i had a screw driver neary the psu n flipped the switch with my other hand and it jump to my electrical screw driver, luckly my foot was on the door. You should buy a new psu but you might find other problems as the damage could affected else where like your motherboard.

Good luck, oyea also try puttin something else into the socket to see if there is power coming into your socket. (Wet fingers! only joking)

WTFs that HAL switch on back of power supply ?

WTFs that "H-A-L" switch on back of my power supply for :confused:?

I hear you say, well here is the truth, not a I think its this, or maybe its that, because this information is straight from the manufacturers hand book!
Yes I've got the goods on this most annoying mysterious little switch! :mad:

So I'll type it out just as it is in the booklet, nothing added, and nothing taken away!

Here you go :

Three Band Thermal Management System

H (High): use by maximum system utilisation, cooling down effectively.

A (Auto): PSU regulates fan speed automatically. <--- (Recommended)

L (Low): use by low system utilisation, like stand-by mode, ect. When temperature increases fast, PSU switches automatically to level A (Auto).

Yes thats it!
Oh yes, and this is from the information booklet for a
600 watt Arctic PSU (with EPS and SLI/Cross-fire) support.
By Jeantech UK
Purchased 2008.

Well I hope that helps or at least solves this mystery once and for all guys!
Boy I fell Like a :nerd: now :)

P.S. The HAL switch is NOT to be confused with the 120volt/240volt switch, or even the 110volt/230volt switch, alternating current (AC) of course!
User "Danni" and/or Tech-forums and also Tech-forums.net hold NO responsibility for misuse and/or misidentification of the HAL/H-A-L switch for a input voltage switch.
And the consequential damage and blue smoke this may cause.

As ever, if in doubt, please refer to your users manual or the pamphlet that came with your hardware.
Terms and conditions apply. :p

General rule of thumb for 'Trying new things' is to figure out what its FUNCTION is prior to using it.... Personally, I haven't ever had a PSU with a HAL switch, so I wasn't familiar with it either.... If that was the case, Google would have been my friend prior to up and switching it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom