GTX 460 card has lower FPS than my old 9500GT. help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSU isn't the issue... I am honestly stumped....

Ok, I messed with a bunch of things, from uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, to reinstalling directx, cleaning out my registry, and a couple other minor things. Not sure what did it, but it's working better now. There's still some bad lag for the first several seconds after it loads something up, but after about 3-10seconds max, it runs smooth. This seems normal as from what I've read, this game does use more CPU and RAM when turning up graphics settings. Considering I only have 2gigs of ram currently, that's probably why I have the lag in the beginning. Once it gets going though, I have no problems running it on ultra settings.

So yea, not sure which of those things solved the problem but seems ok now. Hopefully when I get win 7 on my comp and get 2 more gigs of ram, it'll fix that initial lag.

One last question... I do have each of the PCI-E power connections hooked up to the two seperate rails now. Though I don't believe that is what fixed the issue, is there any way I can tell which rail the PCI-E power plug is connected to? I'd like to free up those 2 extra molex plugs, but want to make sure I have the GPU hooked up right to be giving it enough power.

The only way to tell, is to ask the manufacture, or take the PSU apart and see -.-

Lag at the start of missions/matchs seems normal for me, I also have 2GB of ram, and I am running a 3850 as my GPU, and can play on high just fine.

The only way to tell, is to ask the manufacture, or take the PSU apart and see -.-

Lag at the start of missions/matchs seems normal for me, I also have 2GB of ram, and I am running a 3850 as my GPU, and can play on high just fine.

Well in response to both the above quote and patonb, as far as the PSU, I did try hooking it back up the way I had it and sure enough, that was the problem. I was running both off the same rail. The reason I didn't notice it when I first changed them is because regardless, there is still a bit of lag at the start of the missions, so at first I thought I hadn't solved the problem and tried those other things. However, now with the GPU connected to both rails, like I had said previously that lag goes away after 3-10seconds.

As far as that lag though, I would suggest upgrading to 4gigs. From what I've read in forums in regards to SC 2, to run in ultra mode it needs 4gigs. Hopefully in time they'll improve the efficiency of the game and make it so that turning up graphics settings will only affect your GPU. Regardless, can't hurt to have a little extra RAM :).

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping out corrosive, I really appreciate it. I'm actually a moderator on forums to do with fitness and working out, so I try to do my share as well, but when it comes to computers and situations like this, I definitely have more questions than answers, lol.

So in the end, it is the PSU, that is kinda why a lot of techs try to stay away from multi-rail power supplies, as a lot of them, aren't efficient, or, they just don't tell ya what dongles are on what rail.

If you ever get a chance to upgrade the PSU, try to find one that has a HIGH single 12v rail, they do exist.

So in the end, it is the PSU, that is kinda why a lot of techs try to stay away from multi-rail power supplies, as a lot of them, aren't efficient, or, they just don't tell ya what dongles are on what rail.

If you ever get a chance to upgrade the PSU, try to find one that has a HIGH single 12v rail, they do exist.

Any quality psu with multi-rails won't be an issue. A hx series from corsair would run just fine. The biggest issue is his psu is just good enough to power it, and so hes gettikng issues.

Download and run GPU-Z, then post a screenshot of the Graphics Card Tab and the Sensors Tab. This will tell us about the Card itself unlike HWMonitor which is telling us about the System as a whole.

GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

gpuzj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom