GTX 460 card has lower FPS than my old 9500GT. help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Just got my new gtx 460, went to play Starcraft II, and the frames on it are worse than when I was using my old 9500 GT. Nothing else has changed in my comp, so I'm at a loss. I completely deleted all old drivers, installed all new drivers, got the latest version at nvidia, installed physx, etc. Below is my system specs:

motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
cpu - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core
ram - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
video card - EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB Sata 3gb
psu - XCLIO Goodpower 500w
sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
OS - Windows XP

When I talked to a rep from EVGA, he told me to check my ram settings, which I did and they all seem fine. He said it might be issues with running a 460 on a win xp OS, but I know of plenty of other people who have done it without issues, though from what he explained you can't run higher than directx 9 on windows xp? Other than that, the only other thing he mentioned is that my processor might be holding me back, but not sure about that because even on cinematics, it gets a bit choppy here and there.

I'm at a complete loss here as to what I can try to fix this? I mean at this point I'm so disappointed I'm tempted to just open an RMA and return this new video card. If anyone has any suggestions from personal experience, I'd really appreciate it.

XP is the lowest System Requirements of SC2. But I do not think you can play at full settings. Try to tone it down.

Highly unlikely it is the OS, it's just the oldest OS that you are capable of installing SC2 to.

It is possible your PSU is struggling to power the GPU, thus, resulting in lower frames.

Oh, and the cinematic, is ALL cpu powered, the GPU, does almost no processing in that area according to a few Blizzard reps at the SC2 forum, so, sadly, it IS possible your CPU can't keep up, though, my AMD Athlon 6000+ handles the game just fine...

Highly unlikely it is the OS, it's just the oldest OS that you are capable of installing SC2 to.

It is possible your PSU is struggling to power the GPU, thus, resulting in lower frames.

Oh, and the cinematic, is ALL cpu powered, the GPU, does almost no processing in that area according to a few Blizzard reps at the SC2 forum, so, sadly, it IS possible your CPU can't keep up, though, my AMD Athlon 6000+ handles the game just fine...

thanks for the info. that would explain why the cinematic frames haven't changed at all.

as far as the game itself and what you said in regards to the PSU, from what i understand, if the graphics card isn't getting enough juice, it will make a very loud buzzing sound, so i don't think that's it either. i've seen other people use the same PSU in other forum threads with similar setups as well. i dont know, i mean i could try picking a new PSU up at best buy and try it. i mean if it doesnt help i can return it anyway. just gonna be a pain hooking up a new PSU if its not the problem.

There won't always be a buzzing sound. Curious, can you download HWMonitor from CPUID.com and get us a screen shot of the temps? Start the program before SC2, run the game for awhile, then exit, grab a screen shot, upload, and give us a link to it, that way we can just rule out overheating, and any possible voltage issues.

There won't always be a buzzing sound. Curious, can you download HWMonitor from CPUID.com and get us a screen shot of the temps? Start the program before SC2, run the game for awhile, then exit, grab a screen shot, upload, and give us a link to it, that way we can just rule out overheating, and any possible voltage issues.

SP32-01092010-233832.jpg

There ya go. Getting a copy of Win 7 tomorrow, so I'll be able to rule that issue out. I don't see it as an overheating issue considering as soon as I installed the video card, I uninstalled the old drivers, installed the new drivers for the 460, and immediately tried out SC II and right off the bat the FPS was a problem. Dunno, maybe the PSU is a problem. No way I can test out the PSU though eh?

Yea there is, leave HWMonitor running while playing sc for a bit then post the screenshot, I said it in that manor so I could also see the voltages it reports on your 12V rail, as it records lowest/highest, even while playing something graphics intensive. :p

Yea there is, leave HWMonitor running while playing sc for a bit then post the screenshot, I said it in that manor so I could also see the voltages it reports on your 12V rail, as it records lowest/highest, even while playing something graphics intensive. :p

ok, spent time playing SC 2 with it, and this is what i got:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/ascendant78/SP32-02092010-012418.jpg

regardless of my video settings, the game seems to run really low on frames at some points.

another thing, my PSU has two rails, each of which has 17amps on them. the graphics card says it only requires a 450w power supply, but that it needs 24amps on the 12volt rail. Now I figure if I run each power connection to the GPU to the two seperate rails, it should be fine. It has one PCI-E connection coming straight from the PSU, then the other connection I have through the molex adapter (2 molex to the PCI-E adapter). Wondering if I might want to run both off the seperate molex lines coming out the computer to make sure they're on seperate rails? what you guys think, cause i'm not sure which rail the PCI-E would be connected to?

well, just tried changing the connections so that each PCI-E connection was run through molex adapters on each seperate rail and no difference. so unless i'm doing something wrong here, it seems like my PSU isn't the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom