GTX 285 being detected as gtx260 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Pinscher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,541
Default GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

So ya I bought an evga gtx 285 today and when I booted up, after unistalling my old drivers, windows detected the card as a gtx260. I installed the latest driver from the evga website too. Is there a way I can fix this? Maybe flash the bios? I really don't want to go through an RMA with it already if I can avoid it.
__________________

__________________
Pinscher is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

I would suggest a removal of the drivers again. After removing the drivers run Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.

Then restart and Windows should not install any drivers and you should have a low resolution with bad colors. At that point install the latest set of drivers for the card from the nvidia site.

This should get Windows to install the proper drivers and recognize it properly.
__________________

__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Pinscher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,541
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Nice try but it didn't work. It is still a GTX260. I did some searching and found that you can flash the bios using nvflash but I am running win7 and that program doesn't support win7. Is there any other way to flash the bios? I have a feeling its my only chance before I have to begin the RMA.
__________________
Pinscher is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

You might be able to do it in VMware? Is there a option to maybe do it in DOS?
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
Nice try but it didn't work. It is still a GTX260. I did some searching and found that you can flash the bios using nvflash but I am running win7 and that program doesn't support win7. Is there any other way to flash the bios? I have a feeling its my only chance before I have to begin the RMA.
Have you tried any other programs to see if they detect the card correctly? GPU Caps Viewer and HardwareInfos would work. Try downloading and running a Linux LiveCD to see if that detects it correctly. If it does, it's a problem with the drivers/OS.

To flash outside of Windows, without having to install a separate OS :

Nvidia BIOS flashing - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
__________________
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
95BlackGA is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Pinscher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,541
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
You might be able to do it in VMware? Is there a option to maybe do it in DOS?
Well I got the program to run in vmware but it just went through the list of commands in a cmd window and told me to hit enter to continue a bunch of times and once it lists all of the commands, it just closes the window. Not sure what the deal is there.

I have 0 experience in dos. I am pretty sure it can be done in dos but I would need somebody to walk me through it. I know you are godly with OSes so if you can help me here that would be much appreciated, if not, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
Have you tried any other programs to see if they detect the card correctly? GPU Caps Viewer and HardwareInfos would work. Try downloading and running a Linux LiveCD to see if that detects it correctly. If it does, it's a problem with the drivers/OS.
I checked it with a trillion programs. It is definitely flashed with the wrong bios.
__________________
Pinscher is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Hefemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,093
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

what does gpuz recognize the card as?
__________________
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Hefemeister is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Pinscher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,541
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

a gtx260... like i said, I have tried every program I know. EVGA precision tool, gpu-z, rivatuner, device manager, nvidia control panel. EVERYTHING sees it as a GTX260
__________________
Pinscher is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
Well I got the program to run in vmware but it just went through the list of commands in a cmd window and told me to hit enter to continue a bunch of times and once it lists all of the commands, it just closes the window. Not sure what the deal is there.

I have 0 experience in dos. I am pretty sure it can be done in dos but I would need somebody to walk me through it. I know you are godly with OSes so if you can help me here that would be much appreciated, if not, no worries.



I checked it with a trillion programs. It is definitely flashed with the wrong bios.
Looks like we posted at about the same time. I edited my post. There is a link on how to flash the BIOS through a bootable disk. Have you tried that yet?
__________________
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
95BlackGA is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Pinscher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,541
Default Re: GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
Looks like we posted at about the same time. I edited my post. There is a link on how to flash the BIOS through a bootable disk. Have you tried that yet?
thanks for that.

I've been working at it for about 2 hours now. I must be doing something wrong. I got it to create the bootable cd with the nvflash on it but when I boot it, it boots up but says the cd-rom drivers won't load or something and then it just gives me a command line q:\ and nothing I type into here seems to do anything. I'm not sure what to do but its almost 3 in the morning so maybe I'll have another go at it tomorrow.
__________________

__________________
Pinscher is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some type of worm or something? randyjcrouse Viruses, Spyware and Malware 18 09-25-2009 04:08 PM
Gtx 260 SLI vs Gtx 285 supercadet New Systems | Building and Buying 4 06-04-2009 02:53 AM
XFX GeForce GTX 285 Black Edition Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 8 02-15-2009 09:22 PM
Leaked GeForce GTX 285 Specs? Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 12-16-2008 11:19 PM
crashing pc daz6215 Overclocking and Modding 6 02-29-2008 12:35 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.