graphics trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default graphics trouble

Hi, I've had a problem with upgrading my computers graphics for awhile, but I haven't really done anything about it till now.

Here's the deal: I downloaded the BFME2 demo to see if should buy it, but it won't work, I'm guessing because my onboard graphics are out of date. Now, I have a geForce 5200 FX Ultra lying around, but its incompatible with my motherboard, so that options out. so question number 1 is: Can anyone recommend a good yet cheap card that I can use to actually play BFME2? (cheap as in preferably under 100 dollars, I'm a little strapped for cash atm.)

My other problem is that in the past, when trying to replace my onboard graphics, it just straight out hasn't worked. I plug in the new card, nothing happens. I go to disable the onboard graphics, and then my computer completely ignores the new card and decides to just not work, until i remove the card, at which point I'm back to square one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

some sys. specs:
Compaq Presario S4300CL
2.5 GHz
512 RAM
Graphics card: Intel 82845G
MOtherboard: ASUS P4G533-LA

Old 02-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The Nvidia 6600 gt is a bit more than 100 bucks and its pretty good.
Closed Thread