Graphics or power supply issue? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Post Graphics or power supply issue?

I bought a graphics card 3 or 4 months back because the card that came with my Gateway stopped working. After putting it in I could tell my computer was running much slower than before. Eventually it started to shut itself down and restart sometimes. Recently it would turn on for 2 or 3 minutes and now it wont start with the card in it. I thought it was the power supply because it said it required a 400watt power supply, but then i looked at the old card that i started with and it also required 400 watts. I am new to all of this and i would love to learn how it works. If any of you guys know how the power supply distributes the power to all of the cards and ports i'd be happy to know.

The computer i use is a Gateway FX7026
The new graphics card i tried to put in was an EVGA GTX 550Ti 2gb GDDR5
The old one is what came with the computer, an EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512mb DDR3
My power supply is Delta Electronics DPS- 400RB A Power supply, also original to the PC
__________________

Zentaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
bigdog33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 184
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentaa View Post
I bought a graphics card 3 or 4 months back because the card that came with my Gateway stopped working. After putting it in I could tell my computer was running much slower than before. Eventually it started to shut itself down and restart sometimes. Recently it would turn on for 2 or 3 minutes and now it wont start with the card in it. I thought it was the power supply because it said it required a 400watt power supply, but then i looked at the old card that i started with and it also required 400 watts. I am new to all of this and i would love to learn how it works. If any of you guys know how the power supply distributes the power to all of the cards and ports i'd be happy to know.

The computer i use is a Gateway FX7026
The new graphics card i tried to put in was an EVGA GTX 550Ti 2gb GDDR5
The old one is what came with the computer, an EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512mb DDR3
My power supply is Delta Electronics DPS- 400RB A Power supply, also original to the PC
PSU that comes in pre-built computers usually are crap, so I would get a new PSU, antec, consair or seasonic around 550 to 600 watts.
__________________

bigdog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

I looked up some at Fry's and Radioshack and i saw some Antecs at 650 because i thought i might need a lot more than i have. Will having just a hundred more be efficient enough? I don't understand why this card requires more than the other but they both say 400w... Could you help me out with that or..?
Zentaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Matt77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 604
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

you want to go for ~500-600, as a rule of thumb. Of course 100w would help, but doesn't give you that much room for future additions. I have a 750w PSU, fyi.
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt77 View Post
you want to go for ~500-600, as a rule of thumb. Of course 100w would help, but doesn't give you that much room for future additions. I have a 750w PSU, fyi.
I am trying to determine if i should go for a nice power supply or a new XBox 360. I like to game and i like the pc for the freedom, but lately i have been having crap luck with using a computer. Do you think my PC is worth putting in the new power supply with graphics card? In order to game i mean. Id like to be able to run Battlefield 3 and maybe GTA 5, but im unsure i have a good enough processor to do so.
Zentaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
sPlAtOiD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,748
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentaa View Post
I am trying to determine if i should go for a nice power supply or a new XBox 360. I like to game and i like the pc for the freedom, but lately i have been having crap luck with using a computer. Do you think my PC is worth putting in the new power supply with graphics card? In order to game i mean. Id like to be able to run Battlefield 3 and maybe GTA 5, but im unsure i have a good enough processor to do so.
Well your computer looks to have a quad core CPU four Gigs of Ram and your getting the 2Gig Video card you should be able to play anything out there new. The power supply definitely needs to be replaced and that computer would be worth it if nothing else for resale value.
sPlAtOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPlAtOiD View Post
Well your computer looks to have a quad core CPU four Gigs of Ram and your getting the 2Gig Video card you should be able to play anything out there new. The power supply definitely needs to be replaced and that computer would be worth it if nothing else for resale value.
So all of you agree my power supply is the issue? And thanks!
Zentaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
bigdog33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 184
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentaa View Post
So all of you agree my power supply is the issue? And thanks!
Yes, it will be worth the upgrade.
bigdog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Matt77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 604
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Dude, that pc could blow a lot out of the water. Remember, you don't have to pay $50 for live a year if you have a PC

I'm an addict so I have an XBOX, but PC gaming is definitely better graphics and expansion wise
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Default Re: Graphics or power supply issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt77 View Post
Dude, that pc could blow a lot out of the water. Remember, you don't have to pay $50 for live a year if you have a PC

I'm an addict so I have an XBOX, but PC gaming is definitely better graphics and expansion wise
Thanks guys! I'm gonna get a 650 or higher i think. I want to upgrade in the future too so that should work Thanks to all!
__________________

Zentaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
graphics card, power supply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.