Graphics pausing/freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby2da3rd

Baseband Member
When i am playing games, i get very solid framerates but my graphics will pause/freeze for a few seconds every 30 seconds or so, ive updated all my driver, this is becoming very frustrating.

I'm running Amd64 3400+
nvidia 6800GT 256mb
1gb patriot pc3200 1 stick.

any ideas?

I have a FX5950 and i recently started to have the same problem. I noticed though that my whole system freezes when the graphic card is trying to run a DirectX or OpenGL application (such as 3D apps). I ran 3DS Max in OpenGL and DirectX mode and it froze in both. That's how I found out. But it does not happen every time.

Here's what I did to try to fix it:
I reformated my hard drive, reinstalled XP on it, newest NVidia drivers, and it still happens. Updated the BIOS on my card, and still no positive result. Next thing I'll try is to install an old NVidia driver and see if that does it. I doubt it though.

Does anyone (please) have an idea what the problem might be? I don't want to replace my card, don't have the money. Are NVidia cards known to have this problem? Thank you very much!!!

Linked to this forum from another location and this post caught my eye.

I had a customer at work (I work at Best Buy as a tech) who had this same exact issue.

The cause was his Antec SmartPower. It has a fan that stays off until the temperature gets high enough and then it kicks into gear. It happened only in Doom 3 and it happened at the exact moments that the fan became louder.

We swapped him into an Antec TruePower where the fan is constantly on (albeit perhaps not running at full strength) and the issue was resolved.

Check if your power supply has 'quiet' technology and see if it can be disabled.

Asrial said:
Linked to this forum from another location and this post caught my eye.

I had a customer at work (I work at Best Buy as a tech) who had this same exact issue.

The cause was his Antec SmartPower. It has a fan that stays off until the temperature gets high enough and then it kicks into gear. It happened only in Doom 3 and it happened at the exact moments that the fan became louder.

We swapped him into an Antec TruePower where the fan is constantly on (albeit perhaps not running at full strength) and the issue was resolved.

Check if your power supply has 'quiet' technology and see if it can be disabled.

Yeah.

Most freezing and restart issues when concerning a GPU is caused by the following three reasons:

1) Overheating
2) PSU
3) Drivers

In your customer's case it was both 1) and 2) as that particular PSU led to overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom