Graphics and Monitor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phdownload

Beta member
Ok I consider myself quite a competent computer user having built many systems and setup networks. However I seem to keep making a mistake that keeps killing my graphics cards or monitors.

I have a few computers that I use, so I every now and then i will move a montior to a different computer. However it has happened twice now that when connecting the monitor to the computer that it has cooked the graphics card even though the monitor was turned off and compouter shut down (i know when this happens because it sparks a bit when i connect). This was with 2 different crt monitors on 2 different computers. Also once I managed to kill my 19inch LCD while doing the same task. I know this probably sounds stupid but it has now got the point where im scared to connect a monitor to a computer in fear of breaking something.

Has anyone any ideas on how to stop this happening or what is causing it. Any help would be much appreciated

unplug both the powersupply on the computer and the monitor itself that way it is impossible to fry it. ive never heard of this but that will fix the problem.

Thanks, i will be sure to do that in future though im just wondering if it could be a staic build up problem. I thought that having the cables plugged in would ground it and stop it happening but no. Any ideas?

just make sure all the power drains first after you unplug it make sure the led on the mobo is not lit then plug it in. also you can try grounding yourself by touching the monitor plug then while holding the plug touch a metal part of the fase like the power supply or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom