graphics card wont fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acroshendo

Solid State Member
okay so i have a dell optiplex 740 small form ( OptiPlex 740 Desktop Product Details )and it has 1 pci-e slot. And so i decided to go out and buy a new gfx card.
i got a 8800 gts from ebay for a good deal and when it arrived i saw the card and immediatly realized there might be a problem seeing its size. and i was right it is to large to go in. it collides with the hard drive when i try to put it in. Any ideas on what i can do?

i dont know how to move around stuff in the inside very well but i know the case wont work cause the motherboard will be the same and it will still collide with the hard drive.

but i cant afford another card and no one wants to buy this one atleast not yet on craigslist. so is there really nothing else i can do? i guess i should try seeing if i really could move the hard drive but i dont think i can.

^Buyers remorse is never a good thing to have. When it comes to graphics cards and pre-built PC's like Dells, you always wanna do some homework and take measurements before ever trying to upgrade.

Chances are that your machine's power supply may not be able to handle the new card, or have the appropriate power connections. Such is the way with Dell computers and the limited options they give you for upgrades.

well i tried again and couldnt get it to fit so im considering buying a new motherboard and case do yall know which is a cheap one that should work with the parts to my current pc.

well i tried again and couldnt get it to fit so im considering buying a new motherboard and case do yall know which is a cheap one that should work with the parts to my current pc.

a new motherboard for your dell? correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure they conform to the standard ATX form factor. Also make sure that all the power connections on the motherboard are standard and will work with an aftermarket motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom